Saturday, June 21, 2014

Creating a really good curriculum takes time

I had the good fortune to be trained at the Bank Street College of Education in New York, where curriculum development was treated with enormous respect and much time and attention was devoted to planning the work that would be done with children. This was the 1980's and the standards movement had not yet lowered its mighty hammer on playfulness in the schools. After an initial three years teaching at a progressive school in Brooklyn, I returned to teach in Bank Street's laboratory School for Children, where hours were devoted in conversation each week to figuring out where we would take the curriculum next. We thought about what interested the children and what would challenge their thinking most deeply and appropriately. We invested a lot of time into finding authentic materials and designing authentic experiences so that children would be able to do their own investigations and draw their own conclusions. It was a grand moment for us teachers and in retrospect I marvel at all the time we had. There were team meetings; vertical meetings; one on one weekly meetings with the curriculum director. We visited each other's classrooms and took notes on what children said during class discussions. We closed school early once each week to meet and plan curriculum. The center of the curriculum was always either science or social studies. We integrated other subjects as much as possible - math, reading, the arts. The school was alive with inquiry and really no child was left behind. That background has served me well in the teaching work I have done since leaving Bank Street. I learned the tools of the trade and have felt free and able in the years since to put together meaningful curriculum no matter what the subject I was teaching. My biggest question now is what the standards-based movement is going to do to my teaching now that it has finally caught up with me (there are now national standards for language teachers). I like the direction taken by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) in terms of the standards they have set. I just worry that all the data collecting and analyzing is going to get in the way of the time I need to spend to create the curriculum that excites me and the children. One interest for me in this course is in getting a better handle on what the Common Core is - I am possibly heading toward leadership positions - maybe starting my own school - and I want to be sure I understand current mainstream thinking.

4 comments:

  1. Bank Street must have been an amazing experience. Have heard so many positive things about it over the years. Do you stay in touch with the school or anyone there, Kit? It is certainly one of the best and best-known progressive schools in the US.

    Good questions all at the end. One interesting thing about the standards-based movement is what teachers think it will do to their teaching. Ultimately, don't they (or you) make the final decisions about what and how you will teach? You might use one of the projects for this class to investigate further what the CC is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kit, It sounds like you've been at an amazingly progressive school! I love the ida of early release- I have some teacher friends in southern Maine that do that on a regular basis and they feel like it helps a lot. Our school only does it 3 times a year, so it seems like that is not regular enough to make it an efficient use of curriculum time. I would love to see if happen more regularly, but people are often concerned about losing instructional/ seat time. I wonder if the use of technology could help teachers feel like this time could be valuably used for kids (maybe in lieu of class they can watch a video podcast) and for teachers (regular talk of curriculum).

    It also sounds like you guys did the walk around and see what kids need well. I think that's what iWalkthroughs were trying to achieve some time ago. I know at some schools that was effective, but at my school and my husband's school they were not. What kind of data did you collect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience at Bank Street highlights critical components of on-going professioanl development. Colleague conversations in grade level and vertical teams is essential. Opportunity for 1:1 time with a mentor and colleague visits. All so important in keeping teaching and learning alive and purposeful. The Maine Partnership in Comprehensive Literacy (MPCL) has many of these components embedded in literacy learning in partnership schools along with several courses offered to support common language and understanding. It's about scheduling the time, but it's also about how that time is spent. It sounds like Bank Street did it well.

    ReplyDelete